Medicaid Colorado Springs
Since the enactment of the Colorado Health Care Affordability Act, you have probably been hearing a lot about the expansion of Medicaid in Colorado Springs. For those of you who think Medicaid may be right for you or your family, but still have some questions, we have assembled some information to guide you in your decision making process.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the difference between Medicaid and Medicare?
- Medicaid is primarily for low income Colorado Springs families and is managed by both our state and federal governments. By contrast, Medicare is a federally-funded program, and is in place to support the health care of our senior citizens.
Do I qualify for Medicaid?
- Colorado has expanded its Medicaid program to cover households with incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty level. That works out to $16,105 a year for one person or $32,913 for a family of four. You can find out whether you qualify for Medicaid in Colorado two ways: Contact the Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing, or fill out an application for coverage in the Health Insurance Marketplace.
How long does the Medicaid application process take in Colorado Springs?
- There are several ways to apply for Medicaid in Colorado Springs. The most efficient of the options is the online application provided by PEAK. Applying online should take approximately 30 minutes. If you do not wish to apply for Medicaid online, you may also submit via phone or in person. (These methods take longer, varying in time from one hour to several hours.)
How long will it take to find out if I qualify for Medicaid?
- How long you wait for a notification of qualification depends on which method you use to apply for Medicaid in Colorado Springs. If you apply online, you may find out if you qualify immediately. If you apply by mail or by phone, notifications can take up to 45 days.
Will Medicaid cover my health expenses even if I am outside of Colorado Springs?
- If you are temporarily out of state but are still a resident of Colorado Springs, it is possible to receive some Medicaid benefits under certain conditions:
- If it is a medical emergency
- Your health or life would be endangered if you were to return to Colorado Springs before receiving medical care or treatment
- However, the healthcare provider that treats you must enroll in the Colorado Medicaid Program.
- For a more detailed description of the benefits you may receive outside of Colorado Springs, call the Medicaid Customer Contact Center at (800)221-3943.
For a more complete and comprehensive guide to Medicaid, visit Colorado’s Health Information website.
AspenPointe proudly accepts patients covered by Medicaid Colorado. Give us a call at (719) 572-6100 to find out more. We look forward to serving all your healthcare needs.